This is a very simple coconut based curry. I had never thought of blogging this recipe which is quite similar to kerala style Olan. May be this is Olan but a modified version. I learnt this recipe from my hubby who in turn got this from his buddy bachelor roommate who was a keralite. This curry was a big hit whenever I had prepared for any get togethers, so thought it would be good to pen it down here.This is more like a comfort curry when I am tired of sambhars I prepare this curry with basically any melons/potato/cucumber with different variety of beans.
All you need:
yellow Pumpkin firm – 1 cup cubed
Black eyed peas – 1 cup
grated coconut – 1 cup
green chillies – 2
cumin/jeera seeds – 2 tsp
tumeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Coconut oil – for tempering
curry leaves – 1 sprig
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
red chillies (optional)
asafoetida – 1/8 tsp(optional)
- Soak Black Eyed peas for half an hour in water
- Pressure cook beans until soft not mushy takes around 6 whistles in 12ltr cooker, cooks faster if soaked previous day
- Boil the pumpkin pieces until half boiled in microwave.
- Grind coconut + cumin + green chillies + turmeric to a fine paste
- Add the cooked peas, coconut paste to the half boiled pumpkin and bring to boil along with salt
- Taste check for salt and turn off fire.
- Prepare the tadka, heat oil add asafoteida + mustard seeds. once the mustard splutter add curry leaves and pour it over the curry.
- Serve hot with rice or if you prefer even with chapatis/rotis
Check out the Olan recipes at Jai & Bee’s JugalBandi