Normal menu at my native usually consists of 21 different variety of sweets and savory items along with 2 kosumbaris, 2 types of palya(vegetable fry), 2 types of Hasi/pachadi with coconut and yogurt base, gojju/kayirasa, tilisaru, thambli, huli(sambhar), majjige huli, masala bhath, bhajjis/vadas, 2 types of kadabu and lot more. I restricted our food to one of each and even skipped some of them as the effort is baseless when we cannot afford to eat so many items.
My Banana leaf consists of from 3 colums, the first left column carrot kosumbari, beans palya, ginger-coriander chutney
The Second column goes with karikadabu, Karji kayi, modak, panchgajaya, potato/plaitain bajji (fritters),Chakli, Rave undde, followed by Pumpkin and cucumber kadabu, rice Sambhar and Thili saaru.
I will share some of the recipes
kari kadale/Brown Chick peas – 1 cup
jaggery – 1/2 cup
Seaseme seeds – 1 tbsp
coconut grated – 1 tbsp
- Wash the peas well and dry it well
- Roast the seaseme seeds until golden brown
- Dry roast the peas until fragrant and powder to a coarsely in a blender
- Heat jaggery in 1 tbsp of water strain to remove impurities
- Continue to boil with coconut grating until is sticky and add the powdered peas mix well
- add the seseme seeds and mix well.
For a dry version make it with Channa Dhall/Kadale Bhele
Raw Rice – 1 cup soaked for 2 hrs
pumpkin grated – 1/2 cup
jaggery – 1/4 cup or more
coconut grated – 1/4 cup
cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- mix grated pumpkin and jaggery in a seperate vessel
- Drain the water from rice and grind it coarsely with the jaggery liquid from 1
- Mix in all the other ingredients to the paste along with the grated pumpkin
- if the mixture feels very thin heat the mixture in a thick bottom vessel until it forms a batter of texture like rava iddili batter
- Take a tumeric leaf spread the a small amount of dough with required thickness on one half of the leaf fold it, continue for the rest or if the leaf is too small use 2 leaves crossed add the batter in the center and fold it from four sides tightly.
- Steam the iddlis in a steamer for 15-20 mins. The leaves must change color or wilt for the flavour to build in the iddilies
For cucumber just follow the same way leave the jaggery and cardamom powder. Serve with chutney of your desired choice.
Sorry I could not take picture of iddlies/kadabu exclusively. I will try to post it next time.
Ready for Steaming iddilies in turmeric leaf
Kadabu at the left most on banana leaf